Treatment Resistant Depression
Presented by: Keith Young, M.D., D.F.A.P.A.
February 8, 2019 9:30 - 11:30
41550 Eclectic St, Room 103
Palm Desert, CA 92260
2 CEU’s Available
Cost: $20 Licensed Members/Guests, $10 Pre-licensed Members
Light Refreshments Provided
Depression affects hundreds of millions of people worldwide and is a leading cause of disability and suicide. Regrettably, many people affected by depression do not adequately or durably respond to conventional treatments such as medication and psychotherapy. For these patients, neuromodulatory treatments such as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) offer significant promise to reduce symptom burden and distress.
This presentation will review the concept of treatment resistant depression and some of the core studies elucidating the associated clinical challenges. The role of neuromodulation in treating depression and other psychiatric disorders will be discussed along with a brief overview of potential future developments in the field.
1. Participants will learn about treatment resistance in psychiatric disorders
2. Participants will learn about the concept of disordered circuits in psychiatric illness
3. Participants will learn about current options for treating these disorders
4. Participants will learn about potential future treatment developments
1. Participants will understand the concept of treatment resistant depression (TRD) and its associated clinical challenges.
2. Participants will understand the role of neuromodulation in treating depression and other psychiatric disorders.
3. Participants will understand the FDA-approved TMS protocol for TRD as well as other TMS protocols commonly used in clinical practice.
Keith Young, M.D., is a board-certified psychiatrist with practice locations in Los Angeles and Rancho Mirage. He currently serves as Medical Director of the Palm Desert location of Neurowellness Spa. A graduate of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, he completed his residency at UCLA and is currently Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry (Voluntary) at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and has previously served on the APA Board of Trustees.
This course meets the qualifications for one (1) hour of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Completion certificates will be awarded for full attendance of the event. Course evaluations are required to obtain the completion certificate.
The Desert Chapter of CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage Family Therapists (Provider #62275) to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs. The Desert Chapter of CAMFT maintains responsibility for the course and its content. [This venue is ADA acceptable.
If you have any special needs, please call 760-346-4606 at least 7 days prior to the event.] The Desert Chapter’s Refund, Grievance and ADA Policies are described under Events on the Chapter website at www.desert-camft.org.
Desert Chapter — California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (DESERT-CAMFT)For general info, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For specific departments, please click "Contact" in the menu above.