Desert - CAMFT
October Networking Event
Henderson Community Building
Conference Room 3
72559 HWY 111
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Friday, October 18th, 2019
11:30 to 1:00 PM
Lunch, Power Networking, 1-Hour Featured Presentation
Literature Table, Participant Announcements
Cost: $25 for Licensed Desert-CAMFT Members
$15 for Pre-Licensed Members
$30 for Guests
No lunch will be provided without a RSVP
Focusing: What It Is and Clinical Applications
Clinical Update - Focusing and Its Clinical Applications
Research has shown that the single most important variable in predicting success in psychotherapy was, not what the therapist was doing, but the client's own ability to speak from present, felt experiencing rather than intellectualization. Eugene Gendlin, psychotherapist and philosopher, pioneered the process Focusing to help clients think and speak about their world and themselves by generating terms from a "felt sense." Language and concepts that emerge directly from this experience of self can point to aspects of experience that could not previously be accessed. An overview of Focusing will be presented including how to apply the technique therapeutically.
1) Participants will learn the history of Focusing from inception to present.
2) Participants will learn the basic theoretical constructs of Focusing and when to use it in a client session.
3) Participants will learn how to incorporate Focusing into the therapist's existing treatment approach.
1) Participants will learn the difference between a "felt sense" and an emotion.
2) Participants will learn how to regularly check inside themselves during a client session for their own whole bodily felt sense.
3) Participants will achieve better outcomes with clients when they are able to demonstrate how to access repressed or stored information from a deeper level of awareness.
Sarah Parker is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in private practice in La Quinta. She participated in bi-weekly case consultation emphasizing Relational Interventions and the early organizing experience with Larry Hedges. She is currently enrolled in a Focusing Master class.
This course meets the qualifications for one (1) hour of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Completion certificates will be awarded for full attendance of the event. Course evaluations are required to obtain the completion certificate.
The Desert Chapter of CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage Family Therapists (Provider #62275) to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs. The Desert Chapter of CAMFT maintains responsibility for the course and its content. [This venue is ADA acceptable.
If you have any special needs, please call 760-346-4606 at least 7 days prior to the event.] The Desert Chapter’s Refund, Grievance and ADA Policies are described under Events on the Chapter website at www.desert-camft.org. (Specifically, a refund must be requested at least three (3) days prior to the date of the event.)